On March 14, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine adopted an order temporarily restricting the crossing of the state border aimed at preventing the spread of the COVID-19 virus in Ukraine.
This regulation provides the temporary closure of Ukraine’s borders from March 16, 2020, from 00 hours 00 minutes to 00 hours 00 minutes of April 3, 2020 (Kyiv time). Foreigners and stateless persons will not be able to cross the border of Ukraine, except for those who hold a temporary or permanent residence permit in Ukraine. The citizens of Ukraine are not restricted in the right to cross the border to return to Ukraine.
In addition, restrictions to enter Ukraine during the quarantine regime will not apply to those foreigners who are spouses or children of Ukrainian citizens, accredited employees of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, missions of international organizations in Ukraine, and members of their families, drivers and service personnel of freight vehicles, crew members.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine also explained that Ukraine did not impose restrictions for departure from Ukraine. However, it is noted that another country to which the person may travel may have entry restrictions.
It is also reported that Ukraine temporarily closes the international scheduled passenger service March 16, 2020, from 00 hours 00 minutes to 00 hours 00 minutes of April 3, 2020 (Kyiv time). At this time, the border crossing points of Ukraine for rail and bus connections will also be closed. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs advised Ukrainian citizens and foreigners to contact the Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine in the country of residence\ temporary stay for assistance in arrival to Ukraine.
According to the decision of the CMU, 123 checkpoints continue to operate; 107 checkpoints are shutting down until April 3.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also announced a change in the regime of work of foreign diplomatic institutions of Ukraine. In particular, all foreign diplomatic institutions for one week (from 15.03 to 20.03) switch to a special regime of a remote form of consideration of citizens’ requests.
Foreign Diplomatic Institutions during this period will process requests for issuance of:
- certificates for return to Ukraine in case of need to return to Ukraine;
- the acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship by birth (for children born in the country of residence and issuance of certificates for return to Ukraine in the case of a real need to return to Ukraine immediately);
- visas for entry to Ukraine to secure Ukraine’s interests in foreign and domestic policy, as well as in cases of a humanitarian nature.
Requests that temporarily will not be processed:
- issuance of passports of a citizen of Ukraine for traveling abroad;
- certificates for return to Ukraine, except for the loss/absence of passport documents, the real need for a citizen to return to Ukraine;
- admission to consular registration;
- issues of notary (except for force majeure cases, such as attestation of death documents required for transporting the deceased, statements on the departure of children, etc.), Registration office, the discovery of documents, legalization of documents;
- issues of citizenship, except for the registration of the acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship by birth (for children born in the country of residence and issuance of certificates for return to Ukraine in the case of a real need to return to Ukraine immediately);
- issuing visas for entry into Ukraine or transit through its territory, except in cases where it is necessary to secure Ukraine’s interests in foreign and domestic policy, as well as in cases of a humanitarian nature;
- certification of official documents (apostille and consular legalization), etc.
List of diplomatic institutions of Ukraine: https://mfa.gov.ua/diplomatichni-ustanovi/inozemni-diplomatichni-ustanovi-v-ukrayini
A complete list of closed border crossing points: https://cutt.ly/0thX93i
Online information on COVID-19 measures taken by foreign countries: https://cutt.ly/athXZnk
Information about coronavirus: https://covid19.com.ua/