Some foreigners are unable to contact the Migration Service in order to extend their stay in Ukraine or to prolong a temporary/permanent residence permit in Ukraine. In this case, if a foreigner had not replaced the temporary/permanent residence permit on time, this document would be considered invalid and a foreigner must leave the territory of Ukraine. But how could this be done, if all flights have been canceled and the borders have been closed? The only thing that is left – stay in Ukraine illegally.
In order to resolve these issues, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine has passed a Law on amending certain legislative acts aimed at preventing the onset and spread of the coronavirus disease COVID-19. Some provisions of this Law regulate the foreigners` stay in Ukraine during the quarantine regime.
Key points for foreigners:
- Foreigners will not be responsible for violation of the stay rules in case if they were unable to leave Ukraine due to the quarantine measures in Ukraine. This provision applies only to foreigners whose stay was legal as of 16 March 2020;
- Foreigners would not be responsible for violation of the Ukrainian legislation in case if they had been unable to contact the Migration Service in order to extend their stay in Ukraine and/or to prolong a temporary residence permit or permanent residence permit in Ukraine. This provision also applies only to foreigners whose stay was legal as of 16 March 2020;
- Consideration and issuance of documents during the quarantine regime are being carried out by the territorial division of Migration Service to which a foreigner has applied to, regardless of the place of foreigner`s registration in Ukraine. It refers to a temporary residence permit, permanent residence permit, as well as documents confirming a person`s special status;
- Timeframe for applying for administrative services, in particular, registration of the foreigner’s residence place, is temporarily stopped from the day of the beginning of the quarantine in Ukraine. Once the quarantine is ended, the terms for applying for administrative services will be restored.
The Ukrainian temporarily has banned all foreigners from entering the country. Starting from 00:00 March 16, 2020, to April 3, 2020, foreigners cannot enter Ukraine. The only exceptions are the following:
- foreigners who have a temporary residence permit in Ukraine;
- foreigners who have a permanent residence permit in Ukraine;
- foreigners who are spouses or children of Ukrainian citizens;
- foreigners who are representatives of foreign diplomatic missions and consular posts;
- foreigners who are representatives of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, their families and support staff;
- foreigners who are crew members.
Other foreigners may enter Ukraine only after obtaining permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine.